So where were we?
Ah yes – Lake Living Room. Well, we had a landscaper out on Friday, and he thinks that the problem can be greatly improved by adding still more drains. The work should be done by the end of this week, so it’s as good as resolved in my mind. Never mind that it’s supposed to rain every blasted day this week. There is (please, oh please) already light at the end of this tunnel.
On to the sewing!
Let me start off by saying that, if you haven’t already started on this month’s InStitches challenge, there’s still time. The placemats and napkins may just be the easiest projects in the book. That having been said, if you don’t have a fabric combination on-hand (with enough yardage, and you will need plenty), well, it’s time to step it up. Picking out the fabrics was ridiculously time-consuming. [Finny, I hear ya.] And here’s the thing: I decided to throw thrift to the wind and buy the fabric for this project. This was before I scored the fine Hancock’s bargains; I don’t normally keep a lot of home dec yardage on the shelf. The only piece large enough is one that I’m sick of using. Anyway, long story short, I wandered around JoAnn’s aimlessly for an hour before settling on this Waverly print, but couldn’t find one piece that coordinated with it. Yes, that’s what I said. With all of those colors swirling around in this print, I couldn’t find one piece that I liked enough to pair with it. Whatever. Luckily, I did find that dotted piece on the shelf at home, although only after about an hour of going through those stacks. See? Ridiculous. At least there was a happy ending, though, right?
As for the napkins, I had two challenges:
- Yep – coming up with a suitable fabric combo in yard and a half increments.
- Personally, I don’t really care for double-sided napkins. Normally, I’m all for the reversible hem-free option, but not when it comes to napkins. Weird hang-up, I know.
I have been wanting to try the Handmade Napkins tutorial ever since I laid eyes on it, though. It was also very straightforward and easy to use. Seeing as how I had enough white twill for the main piece, coming up with enough fabric to make the bindings wasn’t too difficult. Finally! Actually attaching the binding to the napkins was not such a pretty picture, but I think that a little practice would go a long way in that area. Not sure how much practice time I’ll be logging, though, because I sort of, um, hated attaching the binding. Still, I do like the way they look. So, yes, definitely need to suck it up and work on perfecting the binding technique. I’m just saying, if you ever receive a set of these from me, you’ll know that it was a labor of love to be treasured always.
Looking at this photo, I really could get used to sitting down to a proper table. Of course, that would require clearing the ever-present stack of books off the unused portion. Oh, the table in the photo is not our actual dining table; it’s just a spare. Time only allows for so much, you know. In this case, the staging of the photo won out over the clearing of the “real” table. There you go – full disclosure. Speaking of time, I need to wrap it up and get dinner going. Til tomorrow, Friends!