or: Meet the New Girl!
Our Bridget, born 11/7 and weighing in at a healthy 9 lbs, 7 ozs; 21 inches long. Prettiest hands to ever come out of my family; it was quite a moment for me of the stubby, wide fingernails.
In honor of her birthday, here are seven things I discovered (or, in some cases, rediscovered) over the past few days:
- Nothing, and I mean nothing, can prepare you for the sleep deprivation.
- My nurses in the hospital were THE BEST. Every one of them, so great. Hers? Well, they liked her. One of them busted my chops, though, for the first two days, and then decided that I was fit to keep my baby and was very nice after that. Be warned, though: Nursery nurses can be harsh to the mothers! (This happened with Joey, too, so I wasn’t surprised; just disgusted.) I should say, though, that the other nursery nurses were fantastic, and even kept her for a few hours at night without making me feel like a jerk. That was priceless.
- Having a repeat c-section wasn’t nearly as horrible as I’d built it up in my head to be. In fact, everything went really really well. I am so thankful!
- This little piggy here has already developed into a righteous eater. Sadly, she falls asleep and refuses to wake up midway through feeding, so every feed takes about an hour. Well, it’s not like I’m going anywhere, so what the heck!
- For a rather, shall we say, undisciplined person (because lazy is too harsh a word, don’t you think?), I’m finding it really hard to just sit around. I mean, I have doctor’s orders to support me and everything! It’s a golden opportunity! [Don’t get me wrong, though: I’m following the order.]
- Every doctor and nurse that saw my baby exclaimed over how big she is, but she still seems very tiny to us. A tiny, squishy, beautiful baby.
- Her brother, on the other hand, grew over the weekend, I’m pretty sure of it. He’s such a big boy all of a sudden! And the sweetest big brother in the world. . .so far. And she, in turn, responds to his voice more than anyone else’s.
So, all in all, we’ve been incredibly blessed. Thank you for all of your kind words and well-wishes! I’m sure I’ll be prattling on about this for a while, but what else do I have to talk about? Daytime television? Believe me, you don’t want to know.