It shouldn’t have taken that long, but it did.
When I saw this on the Winter ’06 cover of Quilts and More, I knew I had to try it out. The following summer, I finished all of the blocks in about a week. Actually, most of them were completed in a single weekend.
Then I wasn’t sure how I wanted to border it…and then I found a flaw on the backing fabric that I’d originally chosen…and then I lost interest altogether. After leaving it to cool for another year, though, I’d figured out solutions to all the challenges and quickly fell in love again.
Since this was a gift for my brother, city slicker that he is, I decided to go with blacks and whites instead of reds for the background. Originally, my intention was to make all of the trees in shades of gray, with only a single green one in the center, but that didn’t work out. I still think that would be a cool idea. As you can see, I ended up going with a red(dish) inside border, to provide a little pop of color. You cannot see that I pieced the back, but that’s what I did.
It works out well that the boy (well, if you can call 25 “boy”) has an early December birthday, because I didn’t draw his name for the gift exchange this year. Besides, now he got to enjoy it for the whole season, seeing as how I actually managed to get it to him early. That’s what happens when you take two years to finish a gift: If you set your mind to it, you can get it out the door in a timely fashion (timely being a relative term, of course.)